If you belong to an NYSBC-affiliated institution
You have access to both the instrumentation and staff resources of the cryo-EM facility at the NYSBC. If you are interested in embarking on an EM project at the Simons Electron Microscopy Center, please follow these steps:
1. CREATE AN ACCOUNT
Create a SEMC account for yourself with the following form: SEMC Account Registration for yourself. Note: You must create an account from a member institution IP address. Once created you may then log in from anywhere.
2. REGISTER YOUR PROJECT
Register your project by using your SEMC credentials using the following form: EM Proposal Submission
3. REVIEW OUR INFORMATION
Read the resources and capabilities of the Simons Electron Microscopy Center on this site: Considerations before beginning a project and Overview of EM Techniques.
4. SCHEDULE A MEETING
Arrange a meeting with the SEMC staff (EMG@NYSBC.org) and notify your institution’s Operations Committee Member
If you are a member of an affiliated institution, these MEMBER INSTITUTION SERVICES are covered by Annual Dues:
- Advanced instrumentation and expertise for Electron Microscopy
- Training in instrumentation and techniques, including accredited classes and individual instruction
- Assigned, dedicated instrument time is part of consortium membership – there are no special fees beyond annual membership dues.
- 2 grids clippings per day of Krios data collection. (Grids must be dropped off by Wednesday of the week before your scheduled session)
PLEASE NOTE: Annual dues do not cover the laboratory supplies and consumables you will need.
You will need a variety of supplies and consumables. SEMC users are responsible for covering the cost of expendable supplies that they use. While there are supplies in the lab and we will do our best to be cooperative so that your project can continue to move forward, you SHOULD NOT ASSUME THAT THE SUPPLIES YOU NEED WILL BE AVAILABLE IF YOU RUN OUT OR DIDN’T BRING THEM WITH YOU. Sometimes the lab might not have what you need on that day.
What you will need:
- Negative stain grid box (106) can be found here: https://www.tedpella.com/grids_html/gridbox.htm#anchor1280885
- Cryo grid boxes (160-40) can be found here: https://www.tedpella.com/grids_html/gridbox.htm#_160_40
- Cryo grids: cflats (most commonly C313) can be found here: https://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/products/grids/cflat.aspx
- Optional: tweezers (5722-PS) which can be found here: https://www.tedpella.com/twzr-hp_html/twzr-hp.htm
NYSBC-affiliated institutions and institutional representatives:
|Albert Einstein College of Medicine||Hernando Sosafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|City University of New York||Reza Khayatemail@example.com|
|Columbia University||Bob Grassuccifirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center||
(Jason de la Cruz)
|Mount Sinai School of Medicine||Aneel Aggawal/Iban Ubarretxenaemail@example.com/ Iban.Ubarretxena@mssm.edu|
|New York University||Bill Ricefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Wadsworth Center||Raj Agrawal/ Michael Markoemail@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Weill Cornell Medical College||David Eliezeremail@example.com|